Pantry PowerTipsChicken Stock
Have some leftover chicken broth? Freeze it in an ice cube tray for the easiest way to use it later!
Yesterday we shared with you our favorite boxed chicken broth, because it’s always a good idea to keep a box or two of broth in your pantry! Many recipes only call for 1/2 to 1 cup, so what should you do with all that leftover broth? Freeze it!
You can freeze all of it in quart-size zip-top bag or you can freeze smaller amounts in an ice cube tray. Here’s why we think that’s a better idea:
WHY YOU SHOULD FREEZE BROTH IN ICE CUBE TRAYS
There are a few reasons it’s handy to freeze leftover broth or stock in an ice cube tray, instead of in a big zip-top bag or other container:
- It’s easier to thaw small amounts: As mentioned above, when recipes only call for 1/2 cup of broth, it’s a little annoying to have to thaw a quart-sized bag of broth, pour out 1/2 cup, and then refreeze the whole thing. Freezing in an ice cube tray fixes that problem. Each well is equivalent to about one ounce, so use four frozen cubes, and you have the called-for 1/2 cup of broth! Easy-peasy.
- It’s great for de-glazing: Want to use some of that leftover broth to deglaze a pan? No problem! One cube will do the trick.
- Cubes defrost faster: If you want to use all the remaining broth for soup, that pile of frozen cubes will defrost much faster than a large hunk of frozen broth.
How To Freeze Leftover Broth in an Ice Cube Tray
Convinced? Great! Here’s how to freeze leftover broth in an ice cube tray: Pour the stock into the ice cube tray and freeze. Once the broth has frozen solid, pop all the broth cubes out and store in a freezer-safe bag or other container. Take out one or more as needed!
It’s just one more way an ice cube tray is a surprisingly helpful kitchen tool!
More Kitchen Freezing Tips!
- How to Freeze Wine
- Freeze Ice Coffee Cubes for Better Iced Coffee
- How to Freeze Banana Bread
- How to Freeze Cheesecake
- How to Freeze and Reheat Rice
Follow me on Pinterest
Products We Love
This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Simply Recipes. Read more about our affiliate linking policy.
Cambria Bold is a Contributing Editor for Simply Recipes with almost a decades' worth of online editorial experience and know-how. She is the former Design and Lifestyle Editor for The Kitchn, where she directed all kitchen design, product, and lifestyle coverage, and the former Managing Editor for Apartment Therapy's green living site, Re-Nest (RIP). She lives in the Twin Cities with her husband and their two little girls.
More from Cambria